Union Avenue Books, which has already hit the ground running with a soft opening, is about to launch a major push to show Knoxville what they’re all about. We spoke with Flossie McNabb about her vision for the bookstore.
Knoxify: I noticed a mixture of new and used books. What do you see the balance being?
Flossie McNabb of Union Avenue Books: Since selling used books is new to us we are waiting to see what people are wanting and buying. So far, new books are outselling used books dollar wise but numbers wise it’s about equal. So, maybe 50/50. We’ll see as we go along.
K: Will people be able to bring in books to sell?
FMoUAB: We’ve put in a call for used books and are asking for gently-read current fiction and non-fiction mostly in paperback but would like hard covers of recent bestsellers or popular titles. We’re offering trade credit on the books we accept.
K: Will there be any reoccurring events centered around local authors?
FMoUAB: Yes, we already have authors lined up for events and hope to have book clubs and other events and workshops as well.
The Grand Opening Events are as follows:
- Thursday, June 16th at 5:30 P.M.: Reception for Ros Taylor, bestselling British author, discussing and signing her newest book Confidence at Work: Get it, feel it, keep it.
- Friday, June 17th from 4:00-7:00 P.M.: Reception to “Meet Local Authors” sponsored by UT Press with music by Nancy Brennan Strange, David Slack, and Kenton Martin.
- Saturday, June 18th at 11:00 A.M.: Children’s Story time with Linda Carlini, for kids of all ages.
- Saturday, June 18th from 5:00-8:00 P.M.: Grand Opening festivities including refreshments, door prizes, and music with Y’Uns.
- Sunday, June 19th at 3:00 P.M.: Poetry Reading and signing with Linda Parsons Marion, author of Bound, of her newest collection of poetry.
Find Union Avenue Books at their official page for more information.